Friday, March 25, 2016

The Second Page

Its 1 am and I am making my baby purr. I don't like to create a nuisance for the Gotham residents at this hour. I just let it auto - drive, having mouthed my destination a few seconds ago, while I settle down to a cat-nap all drooling over Sinatra's voice. Life seems so special sometimes. The incandescent rumble of the wheels and the full moonlight and everything else.

It's a pity I am going to a street of horrors trying to hunt an animal with no plan in my head. But I just do it. For the heck of it. Because I am Bruce Wayne who loves to be Batman.

I am a cold calculating bashing machine but sometimes the night gets the better of me.

There's house on the corner of batmobile radar beeping. It's Lazy Suzie's house. She's old and grey and no worth for the oldest profession in the world. She was called Lazy as she seldom did anything on the job and sometimes just fell asleep, while her clients went about her.

And she was also the first one, who consoled Bruce Wayne, when he was brought a freshly christened orphan into Gotham Police Station - even before Commissioner Gordon put a coat around me. Yes it was her. Alfred had gone inside and I was sitting on this creaky bench all dead. When this lady hugged me tight and told me.

"Everything will be all right." She was a little drunk but her affection was infectious and warm and still rings inside my chest so many years later.

"Stop Zatanna"

Yes - I do programme my batmobile with some of my favourite names. I get down. It's raining. I take out all the dollar bills wrapped in newspaper and knock on Lazy Suzie's door.

2 mins later in my batmobile- I look down my side rear view camera and take a snap as Lazy Suzie takes the money. She is not surprised. There is no frequency to my visits but I ensure she lives her last days comfortably.

She was the first one to offer me some calm and love when my whole world had come crashing down to me, all because I wanted to go for that late night show of Zorro. Dad was adamant but Mom gave in to my persistent nagging and I lost them both.....just because of me.... Godamn brat of  a boy Bruce Wayne!!!

This is programmed too.... in my brain...just before I prep myself up to hit a perp I remind myself why I am here. Its all my fault. And the rot of Gotham needs to pay.

Wacken Street is just 5 mins away. I put up my cowl and check my receivers.

"Alfred are you there"

" Yes Master Bruce - watching reruns of Dexter - He is just so much like you."

" I don't kill - Alfred."

" Yes you hit them so hard that they usually don't recover for a lifetime."

Mmmm... Hmmm..There are two people I can never win with my tongue. One is my faithful butler and then ... there is always Selina.

But Alfred is so wrong. Some do get up and they make it a point to make me feel so good about being so righteous. There was a guy, I met some years back...Some Castle - called him the Punisher. Had to fight my teeth out to save Joker from him. He had a point but still my code - it may seem juvenile.It may seem a fickle but its me...it defines me. And I just can't let it go even if it rebounds and hits me harder than before.

Let's get the show on road and not get distracted.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment